Stay Healthy While Traveling: Tips for Happy Travelers
As vacation season is upon us, it’s time to plan your next adventure! Whether you’re prepping for a mountain hike or daydreaming about a beachside retreat, we have a plethora of tips to help keep you happy and safe while traveling.
- Drink plenty of water: It may seem obvious, but we forget about it. Ensure you stay well hydrated during the hot summer months by stocking up on reusable water bottles.
- Take good care of your skin: Skipping the sunblock is never a good idea. Protect exposed areas, like your face, chest and shoulders with all-natural skincare products as you’re out and about.
- Pack essential oils: Because essential oils are thought to offer health benefits, it may be a good idea to carry them along on your travels. Here are just a few of the most popular and useful oils:
- Lavendar: As one of the most popular and versatile essential oils used in aromatherapy today, lavendar is believed to promote relaxation. It may help to soothe and calm minor skin irritations, such as misquito bites and sunburns.
- Tea tree: Tea tree oil has been used as a traditional medicine by Aborigines for centuries. It contains a number of compounds, including terpinen-4-ol, that have had some success in killing certain bacteria, viruses and fungi. Consequently, tea tree oil may act as a potential natural remedy to help promote skin healing.
- Peppermint: Peppermint oil has a sharply cool and refreshing aroma - making it a good energizer. To create a refreshing spray, simply add 3-4 drops of peppermint oil to water in a spray bottle, and spritz as needed.
- Beat stress with meditation: The act of traveling can be a stressful experience, with plane schedules, public transportation, new places and foreign languages all contributing to feelings of anxiety. Try to stay relaxed and calm by taking some deep breaths and closing your eyes. Because the best way to meditate while traveling is through nature, seek out a quiet bench or secluded beach spot and spend some time soaking up the beauty around you. You can also choose to have a tiny smudging ritual - simply light a stick of Palo Santo and cleanse your energy field.
At the end of the day, we all travel to experience new things, expand our horizons and enjoy time away. It’s important to see the beauty in every place and every moment. So say yes to adventures, explore new places, rejuvenate - and most importantly, don’t forget to have fun!
tea tree essential oil to a damp cloth and use to clean any surface.
Peppermint. This is one of the most versatile essential oils. To create an energizing and refreshing spray add 3-4 drops in a spray bottle and use throughout the day. To treat stomachache or discomfort (which are very common while away from home) simply mix 1-2 drops of peppermint in a carrier oil (coconut for example) and rub in the abdominal area.
Meditate Traveling can be a very stressful experience. Schedules, transportation, unfamiliar places, new people and foreign languages – all of these and many more can be a source of unease and overwhelm. Stay a happy traveler with a daily meditation practice. You don’t have to sit in lotus pose for hours. Just take a few deep breaths and close your eyes for a couple of minutes while on the road, during a layover or in your hotel bed. The best way to meditate while traveling though is in nature – find a quiet bench in the park or a secluded spot on the beach and spend some time soaking in the beauty surrounding you. And if you don’t have the time to meditate, you can always have a tiny smudging ritual. Just light a palo santo stick and with circular motions cleanse your entire energetic field – from the bottom of your feet to the top of the head. At the end of the day, we all travel to experience new things, to expand our horizons and enjoy some time away from everything familiar. What differentiates happy travelers is their ability to see the beauty in every place and every moment. So say yes to adventures, explore new places, rest, rejuvenate and don’t forget to have fun.
Article by Simona Dimitrova
Mon – mother, yogini, aroma alchemist, and a constellator. She combines many passions in her life, she juggles with many balls but she never gets tired of being herself. She loves discovering new and exciting yoga combination (mostly plays with vinyasa and kundalini yoga) and enjoys blending oils and communicating with aromas. But her main yoga remains writing. She is the author of the Bulgarian yoga blog Goyogaflow and has written hundreds of articles for magazines and websites. Mon is the co-creator of the high-vibe essential blend company 11 Moons.